Position reports to the Director of the Pet Health Center, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, and ultimately the Dean. Responsible for providing patient care and content expertise in small animal medicine and surgery and for the instruction of students. Facilitate problem based learning (PBL) as assigned. Faculty member will serve as a college wide resource in small animal medicine. A desire to participate in clinical research would be considered a positive attribute.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Individuals must possess this knowledge, these skills and abilities, or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
1. Ability to orally communicate with others, both in person and by telephone. Ability to effectively interact with administration, faculty, staff, students and outside contacts.
2. Ability to handle detail-oriented assignments and maintain confidentiality.
3. Organizational skills necessary in prioritizing workload and delegating responsibility.
4. Appropriate knowledge of educational needs for contemporary veterinary practice.
5. Appropriate knowledge and skills in small animal medicine and surgery.
1. EDUCATION: An earned Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Degree.
2. EXPERIENCE: At least three years of experience since completion of the DVM degree.
1. Responsible for managing patient care and communicating with clients.
2. In the absence of the Hospital Director will assume responsibility as administrator on a temporary basis, including management and direction of hospital staff.
3. Clinical instruction and academic oversight of students involved in the delivery of health care to veterinary patients and communication to clients.
4. Clinical instruction of students while performing routine patient care.
5. Assist the Director of the Pet Health Center in the management of hospital facilities, equipment, and personnel.
6. Use expertise and knowledge to assist in the delivery and oversight of curricular activities in the Pet Health Center.
7. Participate as a collaborative member of the Health Care Team in the PHC in delivering patient and client services and in supporting curricular delivery of educational outcomes.
8. Evaluate student performance as required.
9. Serve as facilitator in PBL
10. Participate in other teaching duties in years 1 through 3 of the curriculum as assigned.
11. Other duties as assigned.