918 - Office of Research Protections
The Veterinary Technician assists the researchers and faculty in Villanova University in the animal care and use program. The technician will help in routine daily animal care and welfare tasks, perform procedures approved on the protocol, manage, and maintain the vivarium and other animal housing areas, procure animals, and train new students in safe handling of animals.
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform routine daily animal care and welfare tasks.
- Manage and maintain vivarium.
- Assist investigators and faculty in performing procedures approved on protocol.
- Train new students in safe handling of animals.
- Procure animals.
- Assist in the development of standard operating procedures (SOPs) and guidelines.
- Perform other duties and assists with projects as assigned.
- High school certification. Must be Certified laboratory veterinary technician from the United States.
- 2-3 years previous experience required.
- Knowledge of working in vivarium and investigator managed areas.
- Knowledge of working in laboratory animal care and use settings.
- Ability to read, maintain, and monitor laboratory conditions and settings.
- Able to follow guidelines and SOPs and identify deviations while remaining knowledgeable about regulations.
- Able to follow IACUC policies and procedures.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Required to maintain discretion and confidentiality in all professional matters.
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours
- Bachelors degree preferred.
- Experience working in University setting preferred.
- Essential to have demonstrated experience working with a variety of laboratory species.
- Previous experience providing hands-on training is essential.
Tools, machinery and equipment used:
- Computer, telephone, copier, and other equipments as required for the treatment and care of the animals
- Exposure to laboratory chemicals is possible. Exposure to animal allergens.
Special Message to Applicants
- Should be able to lift cages (up to 25 lbs.) and clean cages.
This job might require the person to come to work on weekends and holidays.
Closing Date (12am ET):
Open Until Filled:
Salary Posting Information:
Commensurate with experience.
To apply, visit: https://jobs.villanova.edu/postings/14669
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values. Villanova University is committed to providing leadership in the attainment of equal employment for all individuals. It is the policy and practice of Villanova University to recruit and select applicants on the basis of their qualifications and abilities. This effort is in compliance with all federal and state laws, including Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1975, Executive Order 11246, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.