Texas A&M University’s College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences (CVM) seeks a dynamic and innovative academic leader with a nationally recognized research portfolio and strong interpersonal skills to serve as the next department head (DH) in the Department of Veterinary Integrative Biosciences. The DH is responsible for ensuring the highest quality academic, research, and administrative leadership for the department, including strategic planning, faculty recruitment/retention and diversity, resource development and allocation, continuous quality improvement, and representation to external entities.
The next DH will have the opportunity to build on the department’s strong foundation and craft a vision that will continue to foster discovery and excellence in veterinary integrative biosciences. Areas of current research focus by the department’s more than 40 tenure-track, clinical-track, and professional-track faculty broadly include comparative animal genomics, epidemiology, neuroscience, reproductive physiology, scholarship of teaching, and toxicology. In addition, the department has a critical educational responsibility for teaching over 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students in the biomedical sciences, as well as more than 600 students in the DVM professional program. The department also houses a robust science journalism and scientific writing program for undergraduate and graduate students. Reporting to the dean of the CVM, the DH will provide broad leadership to strengthen and grow the department’s research initiatives, resources, and educational contributions to the CVM’s professional, graduate, and undergraduate programs. Opportunities will also be available for the successful candidate to pursue research and other scholarly activities and teach at the undergraduate, graduate, or professional student level.
- Engage the department’s faculty and staff in defining its vision for the future, in alignment with the university’s mission and strategic plan.
- Recruit and develop a diverse cohort of professors who will join the current faculty to execute the department’s mission and provide a strong succession plan for research, teaching, and mentorship activities.
- Work collaboratively with the college and the department’s faculty and business team to manage the department’s budget.
- Demonstrate innovation in advancing the department’s national prominence in its various research areas and play a central role in building academic collaborations and partnerships across the CVM and university.
- Foster the department’s continued innovation and leadership in the use of transformational learning methodologies and technologies.
- Serve as a role model of integrity, demonstrating the highest ethical standards in all aspects of the work of the department, college, and university, and fostering interdisciplinary collegiality at all levels.
The successful candidate will hold a PhD, DVM, or equivalent degree. He or she will have a track record of scholarly excellence that warrants appointment as professor, a robust research portfolio, and evidence of leadership and administrative experience in the academic biomedical sciences or an analogous realm. Important qualifications also include proven skills in mentoring professionals at all career stages.
Review of applications is expected to begin in early December 2018 and will continue until the position is filled. Applicants should submit their curriculum vitae and a letter of interest addressing their experience that suits this position to Ms. Trudy Bennett at firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions regarding this position, please email email@example.com, or click here http://vetmed.tamu.edu/executive-searches/vibs-department-head for more information about the department.
Texas A&M University is situated in College Station, Texas, which along with its neighboring city of Bryan, makes up a community of approximately 170,000 residents. The twin city area is known for its family-friendly environment, affordable living, and proximity to three major Texas cities: Houston, Austin, and Dallas. For more information about Texas A&M University, please visit http://www.tamu.edu/.
Texas A&M University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The CVM is especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through their teaching, research, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the academic community