Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University provides 24-hour care for pets 365 days of the year. Since 1985, we have offered high quality medical care, consultation, referral and emergency veterinary services for the care of dogs, cats and exotic pets. The hospital also serves as the primary clinical training environment for the veterinary students, interns and residents.
Cummings strives for an environment of collaboration, growth and learning and is looking to add like-minded technicians to this team. We are looking to help you build your skillset, knowledge base and grow your career. This position would allow you to work with VTS level technicians and pursue this career course if desired. We are committed to continuing education both within the hospital through continuing education on site and providing many opportunities for growth off site.
What You'll Do
This position qualifies for a $2,000 sign on bonus following successful completion of 6 months of employment for newly hired employees.
To say working as a Veterinary Technician in the Wards is extremely rewarding is an understatement. We treat a wide variety of animals from pocket pets and exotics to 200 lb “lap dogs.” Every day there is something new and with that comes the opportunity to learn and grow in the veterinary field. We offer a very generous CE allowance as well as in-house continuing education. The sky is the limit. We care for patients who are here for anything including routine spays and neuters to dialysis to trauma and everything in between. If you enjoy variety and learning, then consider working in the inpatient wards.
What We're Looking For
- High School diploma or equivalent and related work experience/technician schooling.
- Good team player and ability to multitask are a must for this busy environment.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work effectively as a member of a diverse team of clinical and administrative professionals.
- Basic understanding of medical terminology, veterinary pharmacology, and patient parameters.
- Experience with Microsoft Word
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. with or without accommodation
As a member of the Inpatient Team you will have the ability to:
- Provide high level individualized patient care to a variety of patients including small animal, exotic and isolation patients
- Manage a busy and diverse caseload
- Accurately assess changes in patient parameters and work with students and clinicians of all specialty and emergency services
- Certified Veterinary Technician in good standing or CVT eligible.
- Basic skillset in phlebotomy, IV catheter placement, fluid administration, pain identification, anesthetic recovery, and animal handling and restraint.
- Exotic animal handling skills. Exotic animals include birds, rabbits, ferrets, guinea pigs, rodents, special small mammals (such as chinchillas or hedgehogs), reptiles, and amphibians.