Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts provides 24-hour care for pets 365 days of the year. Since 1985 we have offered high quality medical care, consultation, referral, and emergency veterinary services for the care of dogs, cats, exotic pets and large animals. We are currently hiring an experienced Veterinary Technician professional to oversee the continuing education for all technical staff both within the hospital and in the local community.
What You'll Do
The Veterinary Technician Education Manager oversees all of the education efforts for technician and support staff development for the small and large animal hospitals.
This would include:
- Organization of regular continuing education events for in house technicians
- Organization of Events and symposiums for visiting technicians from other hospitals.
- Creation and development of training content and ensuring this content is completed by employees as needed.
- Management of training platforms.
- Oversee credentialing of technicians and assisting in achieving credentialing using resources available from the University.
- Create and run in-house training labs for all levels of technicians from basic to advanced skills.
- Oversee RECOVER and Fear Free training and ensure all employees remain current on these certifications as needed.
- Lead a team of approved technician trainers in each area of the hospital, ensure trainers have the resources, training and materials that they need to train employees successfully.
- Working closely with the technician management team
- Develop and oversee consistent training of new and longstanding employees by utilizing these trainers to ensure employee success and complete professional training goals, and utilizing the outlined technician levels on the career ladder.
As a part of our highly competitive benefits package, we offer a liberal continuing education allowance and tuition reimbursement program provided to all technicians employed in Foster Hospital for Small Animals to promote personal and professional growth. With a 35 hour budgeted work week, salary compensation will vary based on education, experience, and credentials.
This position is considered an essential employee within the hospital and the schedule may include providing University and calendar holiday coverage on a rotating basis. The University observes a minimum of thirteen holidays throughout the calendar year.
What We're Looking For
- Certified Veterinary Technician in good standing
- Veterinary Technician Specialist Certification
- Certified veterinary technician in good standing, 6 years as a certified veterinary technician in the FHSA or similar clinical environment, demonstrated mastery of specialist technical and procedural skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work effectively as a member of a diverse team of clinical and administrative professionals.
- Expert understanding of medical terminology and veterinary pharmacology and the ability to effectively share that knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to provide exceptional service to both internal and external customers, and to work collegiately as part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to provide mentorship and leadership to other technicians.
- Demonstrated ability to teach
- Expertise with Microsoft Office and electronic medical records.
Required technical skills include:
- Demonstrated expertise as required for the specific VTS certification.
- RECOVER and Fear Free Certified
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs with or without accommodation
- Demonstrated leadership skills and resourcefulness.
- Able to work well independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to work in a busy, stressful environment with diverse personalities while maintaining a calm, professional demeanor.
- 6 years experience in a busy, fast-paced hospital; small or large animal
- Veterinary Technician Specialist
- Demonstrated ability teaching other technicians, veterinary students, veterinary technician students
- Expertise making and delivering educational content
- Proven success organizing and producing continuing education meetings
Minimum $63,600.00, Midpoint $79,500.00, Maximum $95,400.00
Salary is based on related experience, expertise, and internal equity; generally, new hires can expect pay between the minimum and midpoint of the range.